Sunday, February 28, 2010

Heartbroken Children...

make for an even more heartbroken Mommy.

Thursday before last, Malachi did not sleep a wink. He was tugging on his ear and sure enough he had an earache. We started antibiotics and figured it would clear up like it always does. After leaving the doctor he started vomiting and the temperature starting rising. We did the motrin/tylenol thing and Saturday after waking up from his nap, his neck was huge. After calling the doctor we made the decision to go to the ER.


The ER doctor put us on a stronger antibiotic and told us to keep doing the motrin/tylenol rounds. Wednesday morning when he woke up with 103.7 for the sixth straight day, Tony took him back to the doctor. They ran lots of tests on him, which meant bloodwork, and took x-rays of his chest. Everything came back good. The doctor just thinks he had a very bad virus. Finally, Friday morning we had no temperature!! Yea!




During this same week we dealt with a very saddening tragedy. Monday morning I received a text from Isaak and Jordy's mom saying that her Papaw (the man who raised her) had a major heart attack and did not make it. This was an amazing man. He was always telling me how grateful he was for me and how blessed his grandkids are to have me, but the truth was that I was so blessed to have known him. He was a great preacher, husband, father, and grandfather. It is still hard to believe he is gone. His wife, who Tony and I call "Mamaw," is just as great as Papaw. She is so loving and kind, but I learned this past week how much strength she has. She got up and spoke at the funeral of her husband of 41 years. She was so strong for Isaak and Jordenne. Friday night she had a grandkids pizza party. They had so much fun. They had a popcorn fight and a pillow fight. They ate lots of pizza, ice cream, and cupcakes. They sat around at one point and talked about Papaw and told stories about him. Then, this great woman of strength, went around the circle of all the grandkids and told each one of them why they were special to Papaw.


Isaak was very close to Papaw because that is who he lived with until he was 5 (before he moved here). We decided to wait until Tuesday evening to tell the kids. Trista called on Tuesday evening and shared the news with Isaak first. He put the phone down and just clung onto me. Then Jordenne was told and curled up in her daddy's lap. They sobbed for awhile and we talked about heaven and that talked about how Papaw is with God and Junior (Tony's brother). That was by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Seeing your babies' hearts break is terrible. I cry just thinking about it. My kids, in the last week, have went through something at 5 and 8 that I haven't gone through.


On the way home today, we stopped in downtown Granbury for some good Blue Bell ice cream!


2 comments:

  1. Your children are beautiful and you are such an awesome mother! They are so blessed to have you, I'm sorry to here about Papaw and will be praying for ya'll!
    p.s. Oh how I miss blue bell ice cream!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, Katie!

    I read your post and although I didn't know Papaw, my heart broke for your kids. He sounds like an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete